Bandcamp: Quick Review of Latest Palatable Offerings
Most of the metal that's up on Bandcamp is screetching banshee or growling cookie monster nonsense. My own belief, is that bands put out music like this because they can't get vocalists who are any good and end up doing the banshee/cookie monster stuff to cover up that fact. How these bands ever get listeners is beyond me. However, we've found a few gems to share with you and they will hopefully tide you over for the next few days...
It's a small sampling; we hope 6 bands will be sufficient. Here goes:
Wide Eyes, from Akron, OH, last week, on 17 Feb 2015, released "Terraforming":
- Progressive, "Djenty", well-executed. Shame there are no vocals; the lack of vocals makes this feel mostly like movie soundtrack music.
- Favorite track: Titan
King Woman, from San Francisco, CA, a few months ago, on 06-Oct-2014, released "Doubt":
- Doomy yet Ethereal, Slow and Plodding, yet Ephemeral. Very tasteful vocals.
- Favorite track: Burn
Slugdge, from Lancashire, UK, little more than 6 months ago, on 28-Jun-2014, released "Gastronomicon":
- A great example of great music gone bad. I wish I didn't like this as much as I do. When the vocals are melodic, this album is superlative. When cookie monster gets on, it goes to hell. The album track names and lyrics are hilarious! This really could have been a masterpiece.
- Favorite track: The Sound of Mucus
Crypt Sermon from Philadelphia, PA, 2 days ago, on 24-Feb-2015, released "Out of the Garden"
- Reminiscent of early 1990s Solitude Aeturnus. Great heavy groove. Bombastic Metal Reverence.
- Favorite Track: Temple Doors
White Light Cemetery, from Lafayette, LA, over a year ago, on 29-Nov-2013, released "White Light Cemetery"
- My favorite album of any of the bands listed here. White Light Cemetery has signed with Ripple Music and will have an album coming this summer.
- Favorite Track: Dead and Bleeding
Monolord, from Gothenburg, Sweden, in 2 months, on 28-Apr-2015, will release "Vænir":
- Given the strength of the one track made available, I'm VERY MUCH looking forward to this album.
- Favorite Track: Cursing the One
Go listen. Enjoy. Constructive feedback always welcomed.